A Gastric Ulcer is an ulcer
in the stomach.
Causes of gastric ulcers may include:
- The action of acid, pepsin, and bile on the lining of the stomach
(mucosa). However, the output of stomach acid is not usually increased.
- Taking NSAIDs (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs) or corticosteroids
may be pre-disposing factors.
- helicobacter pylori is often present.
Symptoms & Effects of gastric ulcers may
- Symptoms may include vomiting and pain in the upper abdomen soon
- Complications may include bleeding, perforation and obstruction
due to scarring.
Medical Tests and Treatments for gastric ulcers
- Examination using a gastroscope to confirm the diagnosis
of a gastric ulcer, as opposed to other conditions
such as stomach cancer.
- Use of antacids to relieve symptoms and/or
- Anti-secretory drugs to heal the ulcer(s).
- Surgery may be recommended if the ulcer fails to heal following